Buying a Home? Here are the Plumbing Systems to InspectWhen buying a home it's important to thoroughly inspect all heating, electrical and plumbing systems. Hidden plumbing problems like leaks, clogged drains and damaged sewer lines can lead to costly repairs down the road. We recommend inspecting the following systems before buying a home.
1. Hot Water SystemAsk the realtor or homeowner the age of the water heater. A water heater will typically last 10-15 years. Inspect the water heater for leaks, excessive rust and other signs of age and deterioration.
2. Water LeaksCheck taps, pipes, appliances (including dishwashers, clothes washers, ice makers) for signs of leaks. Check for stains or signs of mildew that could indicate a hidden water leak. Because many leaks go undetected and can get worse over time, have a plumer check the system and repair any leaks prior to closing.
3. Check the Sump PumpA inoperable sump pump can lead to serios water damage. Slowly fill the sump pump pit with water. It should turn on and remove the water.
4. Water Saving ToiletsCheck toilets to see if they are newer, low-flow models. Toilets manufactured since the last 90's are mandated to use less than 1.6 gallons per flush.
5. Sewer and Drain LinesAsk about the current age of the sewer line and whether it has been inspected within the last two years. Ensure that all drains empty quickly. A video sewer line inspection is .cheap insurance that will help find potential trouble like tree root intrusion, cracks, blockages and other problems
Need a plumbing inspection before your next home purchase? Call Maitz Home Services, we can help ensure everything is working as it should be.