Many plumbing problems are easy to spot – a dripping faucet, an overflowing toilet, a clogged kitchen drain – all common problems. Other plumbing problems can be hidden, yet can cause damage to your home if left unchecked. Here are some signs to look for that could indicate a serious plumbing, sewer or drain problem.
1. Water is draining slowly out of all sinks, tubs, toilets, dishwasher, etc.
This usually indicates a blockage in the main line rather than a localized blockage. A plumber should inspect the main line for blockage. Over time the slow drain could beome a backed-up sewer line.
2. You hear water running but nothing is on. While a running toilet is a common plumbing noise, if you hear dripping or running water and you can't determine the source, call a plumber to have the cause located and to ensure there isn't a hidden water leak.
3. Mold is found under sinks or on ceilings. If you see mildew, mold, or water stains, it could be a sign of a water leak behind the wall.
4.Your water bill has unexpectedly jumped. This could indicate a hidden water leak. Check your water meter to see if water is used when all faucets and water using appliances are turned off.
5. Your Toilet is gurgling or bubbling after flushing. This could be a sign of a backed up sewer line. A video inspection can find the cause of sewer line stoppages.
6. Water pressure has dropped. If the water pressure has only dropped for a single source, such as a faucet or shower head, it's likely the aerator or shower head have accumulated mineral deposits and needs cleaning. Ensure that all supply valves are completely open. If the water pressure has dropped throughout the entire home, have a plumber inspect the plumbing.
Have plumbing problems? Call Maitz Home Services.