Whether you have a dog, a cat, or another furry friend, shedding is a headache for every pet owner. When pet hair and dander get caught in your HVAC air filters, they wreak havoc on the entire system—jeopardizing your safety and comfort. Avoid the headache altogether by checking out these HVAC tips.
Top 8 HVAC Care Tips for Pet Owners
Want to keep your home fur-free and your HVAC system in prime condition? Take a look at our top eight HVAC tips.
1. Groom Your Pet(s) Regularly
Brushing and bathing your pets regularly is essential to maintaining your HVAC system. Doing so will remove loose hair and dander before they shed everywhere, clogging air filters and ducts. Here are the primary benefits you’ll enjoy:
- Fewer air filter replacements
- Improved system efficiency and longevity
- Cost savings on repairs and replacements
- Less cleaning time
- Fewer allergies
2. Change Your Air Filters Often
With pets around, air filters quickly fill with their hair and dander. Dirty air filters:
- Put more strain on your HVAC systems
- Produce a higher monthly energy bill
- Block proper airflow, reducing energy efficiency and hindering performance
Replace your AC and furnace air filters every two to three months for optimal airflow, air quality, and system performance.
3. Invest in Higher Quality Air Filters
Every air filter’s efficiency is measured by its MERV (Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value) rating. The higher the MERV rating, the more efficient an air filter is. Higher quality air filters remove more airborne pollutants, which reduces allergens. They also last longer, meaning you don’t need to replace them as often.
4. Keep Your Home Free From Pet Hair
Make a weekly cleaning schedule to keep your home as fur-free as possible. We recommend:
- Sweeping hard floors
- Vacuuming carpet and rugs
- Lint rolling furniture and clothes
- Dusting tables and countertops
- Cleaning air vents with a vacuum hose
These basic household chores will rid your home of unwanted pet hair and dander. When your home is free from pet hair, you don’t have to worry about it clogging your air filters.
5. Build a Fence Around Your Outdoor Air Conditioner
Install a fence around your outdoor AC unit to protect it from dirt and debris. This step will also protect it from pet hair and urination.
6. Checking for Exposed Wires
Your pet might treat exposed HVAC wires like a chew toy. This puts home cooling and heating at risk and is hazardous for your furry friends. Cover any exposed wires to limit access for your pet.
7. Adjust Your Thermostat When Only Pets Are Home
Indoor pets stay comfortable at temperatures slightly lower and higher than what the thermostat is set to when the owner is around. Bump the thermostat up a few degrees in the summer and down a few degrees in the winter while you’re away to reduce energy consumption and save money.
8. Schedule Bi-Annual HVAC Maintenance
Sometimes, you need to call in the big guns. That’s where Maitz Home Services steps in. One of our technicians will ensure your HVAC systems are:
- Working properly
- Achieving their maximum energy efficiency
- Providing monthly cost savings
If it’s time for a filter replacement when we perform maintenance on your HVAC systems, we’ll take care of it for you.
Contact Our Team Today for Quality HVAC Maintenance
Is your HVAC system causing problems? Maitz Home Services is here to help. Whether you need higher quality air filters or a thermostat with better temperature control, our technicians will identify the source and provide a solution. Book maintenance today for improved system performance.