If you’re experiencing frequent power outages or flickering, you may need breaker repair or a full upgrade. Call Maitz Home Services in Allentown, PA for an assessment.
At Maitz Home Services, we know older homes are often equipped with old breaker panels and fuse boxes that can’t service the home, which is why we recommend a breaker panel upgrade or fuse box replacement for older homes. Call us today in the Allentown, PA area for an assessment of your home’s panel box.
Do you keep running out of outlets for all your USB devices? Check out our switch and outlet replacement and see if a USB outlet upgrade works for you.
Should You Upgrade Your Breaker Box?
Your home’s electrical breaker box is considered the brains of your home’s electrical system. It regulates electricity and helps prevent against surges, fires, and short circuits. However, if you experience frequent breaker trips or dimming lights, it may mean your electrical panel can’t handle the load and is due for an upgrade. Also, circuit breakers last about 20-30 years, and after that time, they need to be replaced. If you’re unsure, call your local residential electrician and ask about a panel box upgrade.
Signs You Need a Breaker Panel Upgrade
While most people are fine using the breaker panel that came with the home, other times problems arise and suggest an upgrade is in order. Here are signs you need an electrical panel upgrade.
- You experience frequent circuit trips
- Your lights dim when you use appliances
- You use too many extension cords or power strips because of the lack of outlets
- Your breaker panel is over 30 years old
If your home is still dark despite the lights, check out our indoor lighting services and see if we can help.
Is It Time to Ditch Your Fuse Box?
Most newer homes use circuit breakers instead of fuse boxes, and while fuse boxes can be just as safe as breaker boxes, here are a few reasons to consider upgrading.
- Older fuse boxes top out at about 60 or 100 amps, which may not be enough for today’s power-hungry families. A new circuit panel can supply up to 200 amps.
- If your fuse box smells or feels warm, it’s time to get an upgrade to consider a breaker panel upgrade for safety’s sake.
- Circuit breakers are more convenient to change — just flip a switch instead of changing a fuse.
If you’re still not sure what to do, call your local electrician and ask for their recommendation.
A panel box upgrade is safer and gives your family more options with electrical devices and appliances. Call Maitz Home Services in the Allentown, PA area and ask about getting a breaker panel upgrade today.