Watch Out for These Electrical Hazards: Electrical Safety 101

Watch Out for These Electrical Hazards: Electrical Safety 101

If it weren’t for electricity, many of the common everyday things we take for granted simply wouldn’t work. The cars we drive, microwaves we cook with, televisions we watch, phone conversations we have, and light we use to read all have one thing in common – they’re powered by electrical innovation. The development and utilization of electricity has truly revolutionized the world we live in.

Our expert technicians are here for youSchedule Online Today

Unfortunately, electricity can also be very dangerous when it’s not handled correctly. For this reason, it’s important to always seek professional assistance when you are conducting projects in your home that require working with electricity. In this blog, we’ll discuss on how you can avoid common electrical hazards in your home.

Sustaining Shocks from an Electrical Circuit

Electricity is all around us, including in our very own bodies! While this is a neat fact, it also means we can easily conduct an electrical circuit and experience shock or electrocution. Each year there are more than 1,000 deaths in the U.S. that result from electrocution and more than 30,000 shock incidents! Luckily, there are steps you can take to avoid sustaining injury from an electrical current. Here are some things to keep in mind: electrical hazards in the home

  • Don’t use electricity in or around pools, bathtubs, or showers.
  • Before handling an electrical circuit, remove all metal jewelry.
  • Always make sure electrical outlets have the appropriate covers placed over them.
  • Don’t adjust the prongs of electrical cords to fit them to size.
  • Before working on anything with electricity, make sure you have turned off all power sources.
  • Make sure you are grounded when handling electricity

Working on electrical projects and repairs can result in injury if you aren’t experienced. It’s always best to hire a licensed electrician for your safety and peace of mind.

How to Handle an Electrical Burn

Burns of any kind aren’t any fun – electrical burns, however, are considered to be worse in many cases than other types. This is because it can do more damage and in a shorter amount of time than other burn causes. Electrical burns need to be treated immediately in a hospital or doctor’s office.

This is because any injury resulting from electricity can cause other problems as well, such as ventricular fibrillation, brain damage or cardiac arrhythmia. Don’t ever risk it; seek medical attention right away.

Take the Time to Unplug

unplug electrical devices

Unplugging your unused electrical devices is one of the best things you can do as a homeowner. When your TV, microwave, hairdryer, and other devices aren’t in use they still have current running through them. Not only will unplugging your unused items save you money with energy conservation, but it also reduces your risk of a fire starting in your home.

Electrical devices can overheat or get too hot when they have a current continuously running through them. This can quickly start a fire in your home, risking your safety and that of your home.

It’s always a good idea to call for professional help whenever you have an electrical project that needs to be completed. Doing so will ensure your safety and make sure the work is done properly. The next time you have an electrical job, Maitz Home Services is ready to help! Contact us today to schedule your appointment.