Do You Need Emergency AC Repair? These Signs Say Yes!
The last thing you want is for your AC to go out in the middle of summer because that’s when you need it most and it’s when repair crews are booked solid with emergency repairs. To avoid this, it’s wise to know the warning signs of AC failure and get it fixed before it quits. Watch out for these signs.
- Reduced airflow
- AC short cycles
- Thermostat triggers but AC doesn’t kick on
- You hear grinding or squealing noises when AC is running
- AC is on but not blowing cold air
Repairing vs. Replacing Your AC or Furnace
A new air conditioning installation and replacement is a big, expensive task that most homeowners would like to avoid if possible. It’s understandable to want to repair your unit rather than spring for a new one, but sometimes a new heater or AC is better than a repair, and here’s how to know.
- If your furnace or AC is over 12 years old, it’s at the end of its normal lifespan and needs replaced.
- If you’re repairing your unit more frequently, you’re better off purchasing a more reliable one.
- If your energy bills continue to rise, it could mean your AC or furnace is losing efficiency. A new unit will save you money and pay for itself in a few years.
- If the cost to repair your furnace or AC is 50% or more than the cost of new, getting new one makes better financial sense.
Signs You Need Furnace Repair
Being without adequate heat in the winter isn’t just uncomfortable, it can be unsafe too. Be on the lookout for these signs telling you it’s time to call a professional.
- Furnace short cycles
- Air isn’t as warm as you want
- Thermostat doesn’t trigger the furnace
- Sudden strange noises like grinding
- Pilot light won’t stay lit
- Inconsistent temperatures from room to room